20110507

Gig Day ...



















For the second day in a row, I found myself turning onto Sylvania in the early afternoon, for an afternoon of rest and grounding.  As it was the first Saturday in May, with a bright sun shining, my formerly quiet paradise by the sea was crawling with people.  This was inevitable, I suppose, but I still liked it better when it was deserted.  Mine mine mine.  Down down down.  Go go go.  Miiiiiine.

After my usual walk up to the Pavilion then South along the shoreline, I went and got my chair and my book and my Pad and settled in at Happy Cove.  (The pic above, of course, is the view from my chair.)  It's always a good day when I get to spend several hours in that spot.  Today, however, I allowed myself to be more plugged in than usual.  It didn't ruin the vibe.  Not at all.

I chatted on the phone with Bug for awhile, then Lisa called and we got ourselves all psyched for the gig.  Then in a moment of psychic tomfoolery, I sensed the presence of That Dear Boy and figured he must've either written to me or blogged or something.  Sure enough, not a half hour before, he had written a big post, which screamed for a comment.

A short while after commenting, he texted me and I called him straight away.  We proceeded to have a lovely, long conversation, about his cousin and Bhride and transformation and the Shamanic Institute and probably a few other details that I am forgetting.  Needless to say, it was marvelous.  I miss him every day, and though calls and emails and Reiki shares are not the same as being in a space together, they do help.

Around 5pm, I needed to get moving, so after a stop for a snack at Yummy Yummy, I made my way to Asbury where, sure enough, there was again no parking.  I walked into Yoga Basin a little after six, and hung out with Reggie and Enrique while waiting for Lisa.  When she got there, we set up and before you knew it, it was 7 o'clock.

We didn't actually start the gig until around 715, as we figured people were having a hard time parking.  (Apparently, Lisa has Barbara DeWalt powers, though, which I need to take advantage of at future gigs!)  When we did begin the show, it was as lovely a beginning as I could have hoped for.  She led the group in three oms, and then on we went.

I already knew that she had a great voice, but what impressed me the most was her comfort on stage, and her ease with the audience.  She connected with them and told them stories about the tunes and was just top notch, especially for someone so new to being a featured performer.  My job was easy : just frame the tunes, support that voice, hold the space.  I'm good at those things.

The music only lasted a little over an hour, but our audience of 13 didn't seem to mind.  When it was finished, we were both happy, and in talking to a few people, it seemed we made them happy as well.  After Lisa left, I stayed and talked with Reggie for a bit, about Bhagavan Das and a few other things, before it was time for me to head North as well.

My little reward to myself was dinner at The Windmill, where I am starting to get to know people's faces, since emerging from my 18 month cocoon.  After sitting at the counter and enjoying my meal, I got on Ocean Ave, talked to my new musical partner one more time (who just seemed so happy about the whole thing, bless her) and blearily made my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment