20110406

An Afternoon In The Mist / An Impromptu Salon ...




















For a few hours, in the cold and inhospitability of a rainy afternoon at the Palisades, grace visited through the mist.  Sitting under the covered pavilion near the Alpine Boat Basin, just past old Mrs. Kearny's Tavern, I sat in silence and found myself at a threshold place.  Almost effortlessly, a poem made itself available to me, and I stepped into its embrace.  I wrote about what I saw, about what I've been feeling, mixing this world with the Other in a way that will make total sense to anyone who has lived through my trials, but will hopefully be universal to anyone who hasn't.  It's one of my favorites.  I hope you like it.



There is a fine mist in the distance
above the water
obscuring Tarrytown
Obscuring my future
compelling me to live
only in this moment
This universe
This absence
She’s not here
though I would show her that mist
those waves
this universe I inhabit
Out there
there’s a world outside of ... 
l o n g i n g
A world outside of transformation
cocoons
revelations
I would go there
and I would bring her with me
On a ship to the West
through the mist
Past Tír na nÓg
to the birthplace of stories
It is still cold here
in this universe I inhabit
So I keep moving
walking
climbing
living
To keep warm
to hold the space
to be of use
I imagine those are red berries in the distance
though they are probably just buds that
like me
thought it was their time to shine
Like a beacon
so she wouldn’t have to be
afraid of the dark anymore
Instead I tap the word
I N V I S I B L E
in Morse Code
and cross the threshold into the mist
Where I will wait for Spring to bloom
for the wheel to turn
for the Fire that will make me
whole again
Words by Icarus
04.05.11 - 141pm

After a sad last visit to one of my favorite bookstores (Borders in Fort Lee, another victim of the Borders purge) it was time to head home and have a quick lunch before running right back out to work at the 'Seed.    It was a quiet night, which allowed time to tell the story of my pause to Harsha, Susan and Eric, who were all supportive, and who all surprised me by once again letting me know that I have been missed.  Upon my return home, it was a welcome surprise to see that Katherine was still over.  E had cooked dinner for her birthday and we sang and had cake and somehow, after all this time away, an impromptu salon occurred.  It was strange for me to step back into that space, but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

'Twas a surprisingly full day.  Now it's time to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment